About the IEI
Since 1967, the Intensive English Institute (IEI) at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign has helped thousands of international students improve their English language proficiency.
Students in our program appreciate the excellent instruction by highly qualified faculty, the diversity of courses tailored to meet their language and professional-training needs, the rich variety of social, cultural, and recreational activities, and the opportunity to make friends from all over the world.
Our students enjoy all of the advantages of being part of a world-class university with more than 44,000 students. The Intensive English Institute is located in the heart of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus in central Illinois, a micro-urban community of 120,000 people just 210 km south of Chicago, 270 km northeast of St. Louis and 200 km west of Indianapolis.
Why should you study at the IEI?
- Accreditation by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), which requires English Language Programs to meet 54 standards of excellence.
- Development of strong English and intercultural skills for future study or work.
- Carefully designed English courses.
- Excellent teachers with strong professional backgrounds and experience.
- Small class size.
- Affordable costs.
- Access to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign's world-class facilities.
- Social, cultural, and volunteer events on campus and in the community.
- Cultural diversity in your classes and in the community.
- The friendly community of Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.
The IEI is a unit of Illinois International. To support campus internationalization and global learning, Illinois International's 11 units offer engaging programs, academic initiatives, and administrative services under the leadership of the Associate Chancellor and Vice Provost for Global Affairs & Strategies.