mobile menu toggle


Students are responsible for finding their own housing. The following information is provided as a sample of housing options available to Intensive English Institute (IEI) students.

IEI does not specifically endorse nor supervise these residences and services. Students should make arrangements for housing directly with the manager of a property. All prices shown are subject to change, and apartment prices fluctuate seasonally.

Temporary Accommodations, Hotels & Motels

  • Illini Union Hotel. Located in the heart of campus, the hotel features 72 guest rooms and is within walking distance from the Intensive English Institute.
  • iHotel. The iHotel and conference center is located in the Research Park at the University of Illinois. There is also a Starbucks and Houlihan’s at the iHotel.
  • Local Hotel Listing. This list is provided by the Champaign County Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Longer Term Accommodations, Hotels & Motels

University Residence Halls

All University Housing residence halls feature on-campus locations, convenient services in the hall, and professional staff. Living on campus also means that you will be able to use your meal plan in any University Housing dining hall.

If you are an IEI student and have a University Identification Number (UIN), you are eligible for UI student housing. Once admitted to the IEI, you will receive an email from the University of Illinois Housing office with information on how to apply.

For more information about rates, please refer to the University Housing website. Read more about each hall, including the location, special features, and floor plans.

University Private Certified Housing

All of the Private Certified Housing facilities are certified by the University of Illinois for all students. These facilities are part of the University’s housing program. They offer comfortable and attractive living accommodations in a wide range of prices and sizes. For a complete listing, please see the Private Certified Housing website.


Most apartments offer only 9- or 12-month leases beginning in August. Students who arrive in January or June can find apartments with shorter leases. Some apartments offer one-semester, individual leases for Fall and for Spring. Apartments range from efficiency apartments with a combined living room/bedroom to models with more than one bedroom. In addition, apartments may be either “furnished” or “unfurnished”. Students renting unfurnished apartments will need to buy or rent furniture for the bedrooms and living room. Students renting apartments may also have to pay for electricity, gas, telephone, and water.

The Off-Campus Community Living office is a place where students can get help with understanding apartment leases, looking for apartments, etc.

Students should be sure that they understand all the terms of the lease before they sign it. A lease is a legally binding document, and the landlord may take legal action against a tenant if terms of the lease are broken.