mobile menu toggle

Financial Support

Students needing an I-20 to get a visa must prove financial support, including living expenses, for the term that they are applying for.

Personal/Self Funds

If you are paying for yourself, you must include your bank statement. This statement must be no older than 6 months and the amount available must be no less than the estimated program costs (below) for the term for which you are applying.

This statement can show the amount in U.S. dollars or the equivalent of this amount in any other currency. If the statement is not in English, a translation must be attached.

Funds from family or friend in the USA or home country

If your sponsor is a person (a relative or friend), you must include their bank statement and an Affidavit of Support (PDF).

Other Sponsor

Submit an official letter from the sponsoring organization that states the specific amount of funds granted.

  • If you are applying from overseas, please check with the U.S. consulate in your country for processing times and procedures, and begin the process as soon as possible.
  • If you are transferring to the Intensive English Institute from another school, a transfer verification form (PDF) will be sent to you and should be given to your current school to release your record.

Funds Required for Issuing an I-20

These estimated program costs are the required amounts to be shown on financial statements for issuing an I-20.

Costs 15 Week Program
(Spring 2024/Fall 2024)
9 Week Program
(Summer 2024)
Educational Fee $5,500.00/$5,780.00 $2,800.00
University Fees (required)* $1646.00 $1004.00
University Health Insurance (required)* $784.00 $784.00
Living Expenses (estimated) $8,170.00 $4,085.00
Estimated Program Costs $16,100.00/$16,380.00 $7526.00

*University Fees and Insurance are estimated and subject to change.

Please note: Students are required to purchase University Health Insurance.

Additional funds required for issuing I-20s to dependents

Students may bring their spouse (husband or wife) and their children with them to the U.S. Children can only be dependents until they turn 21. You will have to show that you have enough money for your dependent’s living expenses. Each of your dependents will need to apply for an F2 visa.

Costs 15 Week Program 8 Week Program
1 dependent $4,500.00 $2,250.00
2 dependents $6,500.00 $3,250.00
Each additional dependent $1,000.00 $500.00