Living in C-U
Wondering where a building is on campus? Looking for something to do this weekend? Want to know what the weather will be like today? Planning on going out of town on a long weekend or semester break? You have come to the right place.
Campus Services and Resources
- University Library: You can take advantage of one of the largest public libraries in the country by using your student ID card.
- Technology Services Help Desk is the university's technology support help page.
- McKinley Health Center: This is the webpage for the University’s Student Health Center. You can get information on health problems as well as on the Health Center’s hours, etc. IEI students can use McKinley Health Center with their student ID card.
- Student Insurance office's website has information on UI student insurance. It has downloadable forms as well as information about the different kinds of plans and frequently asked questions. The UI Student Insurance Office is located in McKinley Health Center, Room 29.
- The Counseling Center: The university's Counseling Center is a place where IEI students can get help if they are having trouble adjusting to the United States and campus life. This page is designed especially for international students and the concerns that they might have.
- Community and Self-Help Resources: This website provides information resources available to you in Champaign-Urbana.
- Campus Maps: Find any building on campus using this interactive map. It also provides links to other useful campus maps.
Child Care for Students with Children
- Child Care Resource Services: Did your children come to Illinois with you? This site provides information on childcare providers in Champaign-Urbana. Their office is located at 314 Bevier Hall on the Illinois campus. Information on the website is available in nearly every language.
Food: Restaurants and Grocery Stores
- Yelp’s Dining Guide: If you are looking for a place to eat, this website has a list of restaurants in Champaign-Urbana with customer reviews that you can search using features such as type of food and price.
- Grocery Stores: Looking for food from your country? Check out this list of grocery stores in Champaign-Urbana. There are lots of international food stores here – you are sure to find one that has what you are looking for in one of them!
Things to Do
- Cultural and International Events: the University's event calendar for cultural and international events. Click on the day to find out what is happening then.
- Performances: The University of Illinois’ event calendar for different performances around campus.
- Local Movies: This site has links to trailers and movie ratings as well as local theater times and locations.
- Campus Recreation: IEI students can do a wide variety of sports in campus sports facilities for free with their student card.
- Sports Events: Composite calendar of sports events. The University of Illinois has many sports teams. With your student ID you can get discounted tickets to see the football team in the fall or the basketball team in the winter as well as many other team events.
- Student Organizations: One great way to practice your English and get involved on campus is to join a student organization. This website has a directory of all student organization. You can also use the menu on the side to search by category.
- Krannert Center for the Performing Arts: Krannert has many types of performances from theatrical plays to classical or jazz concerts. While many are performed by U of I students and faculty, well-known groups from around the world also perform at the Krannert. IEI students get discounts on tickets for all Krannert performances with their student ID.
- Campus Auditoriums: Foellinger, Gregory and Lincoln Auditoriums offer a variety of interesting speakers and different kinds of musical performances, as well as occasional movies.
- State Farm Center: Find out what is coming to the State Farm Center. Big name Broadway productions such as Cabaret can be seen here as well as concerts from well-known stars such as Beyonce, Eminem, Bruce Springsteen and many more. This is also where the University of Illinois basketball team plays. Not all events have student discounts.
- Champaign Public Library and Urbana Free Library: IEI students can join the public library in the city where they live for free. All that is required is a picture ID and proof of residence in that city. Library members can check out books, DVDs, Videos, CDs, books on tape and use the library’s resources.
Transportation in C-U
- CU-MTD: Champaign-Urbana’s excellent public bus service. CU MTD has apps for your smart phone. To get help finding a way from your house to campus, use the Trip Planner. For specific information on routes, check their route and schedules page.
- Illinois Temporary Visitor Driver’s License (TVDL): International students can get a 3-year license while they are studying. Read the 2017 Illinois Rules of The Road (PDF) to study for the driving test.
- Driver’s License Facility: This is the place that you go to get your driver’s license. The closest facility is in Champaign. It is open Tuesday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Taxi Services in C-U: Although you need to call to reserve a taxi in C-U, there are many taxi services available.
- Bike Shops: You can buy bikes at any of the major department stores like Walmart or Meijer, but there are also stores that only sell and repair bikes. Also, there is a bike co-op on campus called the The Bike Project that offers nicely repaired bikes or helps you build your own!
- Today’s weather: Today’s local weather report with temperatures in Celsius.
- Ten day weather forecast: Find out what the weather will be like for the next ten days.
- Information on how to dress in extremely cold weather (PDF).
- Tornadoes: Tornadoes are violent windstorms that cover a very small area, but can do a great deal of damage. There are tornadoes in this part of the State of Illinois every spring and summer!
- Tornado Tips:
- Go to the lowest floor possible
- Put as many walls as possible between you and the tornado
- Stay away from windows
- Outdoor warning sirens: Outdoor warning sirens are activated when a tornado has been sighted. The sirens indicate that dangerous weather is in the area. Please note that the Champaign-Urbana sirens are tested at 10:00 a.m. on the first Tuesday of every month.
Making Travel Plans
If you would like to go away for a long weekend or use the semester break to explore a different part of the country, these sites can help you make your travel plans.
- Google Maps: Want to travel somewhere by car but not sure how to get there or how long it will take? By using Google Maps Driving Directions you can get specific directions on how to get from your house to the place you are going and how long it will take you.
- Express Air: A shuttle bus service to Chicago O’Hare Airport and West Lafayette, Indiana
- Peoria Charter Coach: A shuttle bus service to Chicago Midway and O’Hare Airports
- Greyhound: A national bus service that goes all over the country
- Willard Airport: The website for Champaign’s Airport
- Discount Airline Tickets, Hotels and Car Rental Sites:
The information on this page is provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. Links to external university websites do not constitute an endorsement, an approval, or a recommendation by University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign of any of the products, services or opinions regarding a general insurance product or of a specific organization.